Friday, September 7, 2012

10. Ingrid Michaelson


"The storm is coming, but I don't mind,
People are dying, I close my blinds,
all that I know is I'm breathing now"
-Keep Breathing by Ingrid Michaelson
I've been struck for ideas on what to write about, then I was listening to a song that brought back memories of lying in bed, reading Pride and Prejudice, soft music on and the pitter patter of rain on the tin verandah roof outside my window. These were some of the happiest memories of a somewhat depressive teenage hood.
So after shooting some messages to my big sis Kylie, I decided to do a list of my favourite artists.
Music means a lot to me, I love voices that are different, express different thoughts, maybe even controversial ones, but they are all still true too who they are, and I relate to that, I relate to having somewhat out of the ordinary thought patterns.
Number ten spot goes to Ingrid Michaelson.
One of the first songs I heard from Ingrid Michaelson was this song, 'Keep Breathing' from her 'Be Ok' album. 
It has stayed with me for a while now, the quote at the top, at the point in time I heard this song fit me so well.
"I want to change the world, instead I sleep" 
I felt it fit me because I wanted so passionately to make a difference in the world, and yet I slept in everyday till 11am or later and the greatest impact on the outside world was adding to the copious amounts of garbage.

In a way it revealed to me I wasn't the only one, I didn't have to change the world, at times all I can manage is too Keep Breathing and that will make a difference in the world I'm in. The world filled with my family and friends, and as long as I was here, that was me making a difference.
Michaelson also has a very unique voice, it's different and sweet at the same time. She is good with her lyrics and great with her melodies.
If you were to ever listen to a new artist, Ingrid Michaelson should be one on the top of the list.
Stay turned for more artists that have made a difference in my life. LOTS more to come!

Linking up with Twinkle in the Eye

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...