Tuesday, July 23, 2013

I'm Back!!!

So I've been absent for a few weeks, my apologies. It's been quite busy down in this small town.

Clinical placement, university, study and just general life has been happening this last few weeks.

Clinical placement was, well, interesting is a good word to describe how that first week out in the life of a nurse.

First day was nerve-wrecking, made the hour long trip out to Narrandera at 645 in the morning. All teary eyed because I didn't want to go!!! 

But I left and made my way, to my surprise it was not as bad as I had made it out to be, like always. What is it with me blowing things out of proportion inside my head, is it just me?

I arrived about 20 minutes early and made my way inside to be orientated around the doctors surgery and meet everybody. The first few hours was just watching and listening. Then the fun happened.

Well depending on your perspective.

On the first day I watched the doctor remove a tumour from an elderly man's leg. The needle going in was fine, watching the doctors stick it in and move it around administering the anaesthetic, then the scalpel came out, watching him cut, I'm all good, calm fascinated. Then it came to removing the tumour and cutting underneath the tumour to remove it from the leg, still going fine. Removal of the tumour revealed the dermis layer of the skin, awesome, fascinated, white and weird all at once. Then came closing up time.

This is where it all went down hill. I did not faint, luckily, I pretty much know when I'm going to be faint so I removed myself from the room and got some fresh air. Tried going in for a second time but the heat and the nerves were getting the best of me and I just had to sit out for the rest of the procedure.

I think it was just the doctor trying to pull the two pieces of skin together and figuring out how to close it up and it just started bleeding massively when he was pulling and tugging on the skin.

So that was my first day.

On Tuesday was a completely different story! I watched the doctors remove another, wider tumour, even more pulling and tugging and I was completely fine! I watched a sebaceous cyst removed from the head, which was messy, also was a few moles removed and a wart burnt of throughout the week. And I was completely fine. So I'm just putting Monday faintness to the nerves and heat inside that room!

The rest of the week was good, took BP's and BGL's and took histories and watched the nurse do a GP management plan, which tied in more with the primary health care subject in which I was on placement for. 

I visited the podiatrist in the first day, and the physiotherapist, chemist and pathologist and the primary health care nurse.

It was a great week and saw so much, and enjoyed just experiencing the everyday working of a nurse in a doctors surgery setting.

Second semester will be full on, it already it, into the second week now, and in three weeks have another 4 weeks of placement which is exciting and daunting at the same time, but having gotten the first time out of my system, I'm sure I can handle it.

Also finishing off some crocheting projects has been a high so declutter my spare room.

If you haven't noticed from previous posts, I have been waiting patiently for the new arrival of a royal baby, now just have to wait for another baby to be born and I'll be super excited! Now pressure Kylie!

Linking up with Essentially Jess for 

6 comments:

  1. This is why I never into medicine, I can't stand needles and blood! Glad you got through placement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would have fainted at the first cut. Not cut out for medicine at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was going to! But I've never been much of a fainter so I knew I'd get through it!

      Delete
  3. I've always considered medicine and now this makes me want to do it even more! Sounds so fascinating.
    And yes I can't wait to meet this little baby either :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! Theres so many avenues u can go down to become a nurse! And they always need more nurses! Yay babies!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...